Tuesday, August 23, 2011

In Memory of Nicholas Ashford (1942-2011)

I remember years ago when I worked on the Upper East Side of Manhattan watching Nick Ashford from my office window walking south on Second Avenue.  A group of teenage girls were following behind him, seemingly trying to figure out as to whether they could approach him or not for an autograph.  Finally, they seemed to finally muster enough courage to pick up their pace to get in front of him and make their request.   Nick Ashford stopped, smiled and proceeded to give his autograph to each member of the group.  He then talked to them for about 10 minutes, smiling and laughing with the young ladies before they finally went their way.

When I learned of his passing a few minutes ago, I recalled that memory and remembered how nice a man he seemed to be; Absent of any arrogance or pretense, surely, a truly nice man who was talented beyond compare and yet down to Earth in his own silent way.  And as much as I will remember his work with Valerie Simpson, I will never forget the nice person who took the time to sign some autographs and give a group of teenage girls an experience I am sure they never forgot.

Nick Ashford, Rest in Peace as the beauty in your heart and soul was always "Solid, Solid as a Rock"!

No comments:

Post a Comment